IOG fields a proven team with an exceptional level of technical, commercial and financial expertise and experience
Technical and commercial experience includes international oil and gas experience across all continents, successful North Sea licence bid preparation, project development and delivery on time and on budget, drilling management, frontier exploration and drilling expertise, geological and geophysical expertise and in-depth knowledge of technology and industry techniques.
Financial experience includes structured and project finance, North Sea development financing, oil and gas company, PLC experience, divestments, derivative structuring and trading.
Management & Technical Team
Head of Business Origination
- 15 years' experience in banking and finance, encompassing structured and project finance, energy derivatives structuring and sales and trade execution, mostly focused on the mid-cap E&P sector.
- Former Director & Chairman of MOST Inc. and Director of Ebor Energy Inc.
- James Chance spent five years as an oil and gas banker with Standard Chartered, most recently as a director managing the bank’s relationships with E&P companies and integrated energy companies across corporate finance, advisory, financial markets and transaction banking. He previously held an equivalent role at Standard Bank. Prior to that he was co-director of the MENA Division at EA, a leading risk advisory firm that is now part of IHS, where he consulted to financial and energy clients on commercial risks & opportunities in the region and was a regular commentator on financial news networks. He was previously a speechwriter and advisor to Prince Hassan of Jordan. He holds an MBA from London Business School, a 1st from Oxford and an MA and PhD from London.
Group Financial Controller
- Gavin has been with the Company since October 2016 and has over 25 years of finance, accounting and tax experience in the E&P Oil and Gas industry sector.
- Prior to joining the Company, Gavin has held several positions in the industry with companies including Sterling Energy plc, Faroe Petroleum plc, Celtique Energie, Valiant Petroleum plc, Newfield Petroleum, E.ON, Caledonia Oil & Gas, RWE, Highland Energy and initially nine years with BP Exploration.
- Gavin is a member of the Institute of Chartered Management Accountants and holds a BSc degree in Mathematics & Statistics from Heriot-Watt University.
- Geologist and petrophysicist with 35 years oil & gas industry experience, 23 of which as a technical manager or director of an operating company
- Extensive track record in leading multi-disciplinary teams, either in Exploration, Development Geoscience or in Exploration New Ventures
- Founder and former CEO of MPX Energy Ltd, turning the company into an established North Sea Operator returning up to 8 times initial investment for shareholders
- Former MD of Serica Energy (UK) Ltd and founder technical manager of ATP Oil and Gas (UK) Ltd
- 10 years in variety of senior technical roles with Arco (now part of BP), primarily focused on the UK North Sea
- Treasurer of the PESGB and PETEX over 2002-04 and currently Chairman of the Audit Committee of The Geological Society
- Graduated from Imperial College with a M.Sc. (Distinction) in Petroleum Geology and a B.Sc. in Geology from Exeter University
Southern North Sea Project Manager
- Previously Project Manager on the Clipper South Development
Chief Petroleum Engineer
- 28+ years worldwide experience, currently with DNO International on heavy oil developments.
- 10 years with Norsk Hydro before starting independent consultancy.
- Founding director of MOST Inc.
- Former Chairman of the Society of Petroleum Engineers, Oslo.
- Active in M&A, company restructuring, asset valuations, reserves auditing, on and offshore field operations and field development studies.
- Experience in many FSU countries and also in South America, North Africa, the Middle East and Europe.
Drilling and Operations
- 40 years worldwide oil industry experience in both the operator and service sectors.
- Drilling & operational experience with Shell in Holland, Qatar and Brunei.
- BNOC/Britoil/BP Wells team leader for major North Sea projects and Colombia
- Served as VP for two leading oil service companies in the US and a non-Executive for Varel International
- Joined Cairn Energy 2009 as a consultant in a senior drilling management role as part of high profile frontier exploration programme offshore Greenland. Thereafter involved in Cairn's broadening exploration programme with emphasis on the North Atlantic region.
HS & E Manager
- 30+ years experience in H,S&E management, working across many industrial sectors. Including 20+ years specifically spent in offshore oil & gas.
- Most recently led the H,S&E corporate governance and operational aspects of Fairfield Energy’s licence interests, including oversight of the appointed Dunlin Installation Duty Holder, and latterly implementing transition of operations to direct in-house management.
- Previous experience includes award winning implementation of behavioural safety programmes whilst H,S&E manager at the British Gas division of Centrica, establishing worldwide risk management and compliance systems for BT Global Services, and undertaking General Operations Management for Halliburton’s Integrated Drilling Services in the UK (BP), South Africa (Mossgas) and Kazakstan (Kashagan).
- After graduating, spent 10 years in the UK Government Health & Safety Executive, initially as HM Factories Inspector, and then as head of the Department of Energy’s Offshore Occupational Health & Safety Unit.